What do you get with three ingredients….? not much you would say!
How about a yumlicious mango ice cream?
Well then keep reading on …
You can’t escape mangoes during the summers in India. If you are one of those people who doesn’t like mangoes (are there any?) tough luck!
You visit someone’s home during summers, you are offered mangoes before you are offered tea. We eat mangoes after lunch and mangoes again after dinner. Then Mango lassi in the afternoon and mango shake in the early evening.
Mango pickle and sweet mango chutney with the breakfast and then mango and mint chutney for all other meals.
Markets are fragrant with the aroma of delicious mangoes and street vendors go around selling mango kulfi (indian icecream) and mango barfi (fudge)
Still not had enough? There is dinner dish made from mangoes and cumin seeds called mahni. Served with cumin rice, it’s delicious.
Yes, there is no escaping mangoes in the summer.
And then there is the sheer variety of mangoes. Everyone has a favourite variety and there are lenghty debates about which one is the best! There are kings and queens of mango variety.
When we were kids, my sisters and I (and my mum too and she still does!) will fight over who will get the biggest and best mangoes. My mum loves sharing food would even hide mangoes for herself!
and then there is mango ice cream!
This home-made mango ice cream is heavenly and the basic version has only three ingredients and literally takes ten minutes to make and you don’t even need an ice cream churner.
Mix together cream, mango puree and condensed milk and let it freeze overnight and you are done.
You can add other garnishes such as cooked cherries, fresh cherries and nuts to make it bit more fancy.
Mango ice cream
- 2 cups mango puree you can make it at home using the Indian variety of mangoes or use the mango pulp which comes in a can which actually is pretty good
- 600 ml double whipping cream heavy cream
- 400 gram condensed milk
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- 150 gram fresh cherries cut into half and pitted
- 30 gram sugar can be adjusted depending on the sweetness and ripeness of cherries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice can be adjusted depending on the sweetness and ripeness of cherries
- 50 gram cherries cut into half and pitted
- handful pistachip roughly chopped
Make mango ice cream
- Mix together heavy cream and condensed milk in a large bowl.
- Using an electric standing mixture or a hand mixture, whip them until the mixture is fluffy and mixture holds shape. It will take about 2-3 minutes at medium high speed
- Keep 1/4 cup of the cream mixture and set it aside (optional)
- Keep 1/4 cup of mango puree aside (optional)
- Then gently fold in rest of the mango puree in the cream mixture so that its fully mixed.
- Pour the mixture in a bread loaf pan (but you can use pans with other shapes).
- Mix in the chopped pistachio (optional)
- Mix together the mango puree and cream mixture that you set aside. You want this mixture to be sligtly darker in colour than the rest of the ice cream mixture so adjust the ratio a bit to get the desired colour. (optional)
- Pour this mixture on top of the ice cream mixture in the load pan and then gently mix it in a swirling pattern. The idea is that you will have a darker shade pattern running through the ice cream (optional)
- Fully cover the top of the loaf pan with a parchment paper (baking paper) and then completely cover the pan with a cling wrap or a aluminium foil. This will prevent the ice crystals from forming in the ice cream
- Set the pan in a freexer for upto six hours but much better to leave it overnigth in the freezer.
Make cherry garnish (optional)
- Add 150 grams of cherries and sugar with 2-3 tbsp of water in a pan and cook on high heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the lemon juice and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the cherries are slighly soft
- Take it off heat and let them cool before putting in the fridge to cool them further. Ideally, you want to prepare the cherries about an hour or so before you serve the ice cream
- To serve, you can slice or scoop out the ice cream. Garnish with pistachios, cooked cherries and fresh cherries