What is kheer?
When I was a kid, every time my mom made kheer, I would get into a fight with my sisters on who is going to get the largest share and who is going to get to scrape the bottom of the pan to get every last bit of kheer. There would very careful measurements to make sure no one else gets more. Even now, offer me any fancy, sophisticated dessert or kheer, I will pick kheer. I just love it!
Kheer is made using a handful of ingredients: rice, milk, sugar, cardamom and nuts. And while it takes close to an hour to make, it’s relatively easy. I bet you will be fight with your sisters on who is getting the last spoon! Let’s make it!
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 500 ml whole milk organic or unpasteurised preferably as it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan
- handful of cashew or almonds or pistachio
- 3-4 small green cardamoms
- 1 tbsp raisins optional
- If you are using almonds, then soak the almonds overnight in water and keep it in fridge. Remove the shell before you start cooking.
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and set it on heat. Add half a cup of water to the pan and then add the milk.
- Bring the milk to boil. Drain the water from the rice and add the rice to milk.
- Once it comes to boil, turn the heat to low.
- Keep on stirring it every few minutes to prevent the milk from sticking to the bottom.
- After 45 minutes, add the sugar, cashew almonds and raisins.
- Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool. Once it cools down, you can also refrigerate and keep it in the fridge for few days.