What do you have for breakfast?
Few years ago, while I was going through a challenging time, I took to visiting a beautiful bakery, Gail’s, in St Johnswood neighbourhood in London. While the decadent oatmeal and pecan cookies and their bread was what first attracted me to Gail’s, I went back regularly because of their lovely staff. Most of the staff were Italian and they took such good care of me that I ended up becoming friends with them.
Everything they serve is delicious but it was the pancakes with poached pears with a side of yogurt, that I ate every weekend for months. I am sharing the recipe for ricotta cheese pancakes that my friends from Gail’s shared with me. I highly recommend a visit if you are ever in London and wholeheartedly recommend that you try this breakfast (if they still make it). Let’s get whipping.
- 1 cup plain white flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix together flour, yogurt, cheese, milk, baking powder and salt.
- Separate the egg whites in a separate bowl and add the egg yolks to the flour. Beat the flour mix well.
- Best the egg whites until the mixture is fluffy but not stiff.
- Pour the egg whites in the flour mix slowly and gently. Make sure that you don't mix the egg whites completely.
- Serve it with a side of plain or greek yogurt, freshly poached pears, walnuts and, drizzle of honeyagave syrup.
- Sprinkle white caster sugar for the added.