One of the joyous thing about summer is the abundance of berries and stone fruits: strawberry, raspberry, black berries, blue berries, cherries, peaches and apricots just to name a few!
This recipe was inspired by fellow blogger who uses flax seeds in place of the eggs for vegan baking.
She had made this cake with peaches rather than apricots. But I accidentally bought apricots and didn’t realise my mistake until the last minute!
But inspite of this mistake, the cake turned out very well! No surprises there as I have always been an apricot jam person!
Cake was bit on the dense side as the batter had very little liquid but I like the texture of this cake due to the addition of flax seed powder.
Give this recipe for vegan apricot cake a try.
I only made minor changes to her recipe.
- 2 tbsp flax seed powder alsi
- 6 tbsp water
- 1.5 cups plain flour maida in India and all purpose flour in US
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cups coconut yogurt use plain yogurt if coconut milk yogurt is not available
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350 gram apricots thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar for sprinkling
- shredded coconut for sprinkling on top
Prepare flax seed
- In a bowl, mix flax seed powder with 6 tbsp of water. Stir and keep aside for 10 -15 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 175 degree centigrade
- Grease a 9" round cake pan
- Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
- Add in the dessicated coconut and sugar
- Whip together the flax liquid, coconut yogurt, coconut oil, and vanilla together
- Pour the liquid mixture in the dry ingredients. Make sure that the ingredients are mixed togther well. The cake batter will be quick thick
- Pour the batter into the pan. Smooth the batter with the back of a spoon.
- Arrange the sliced apricots on top of the batter. Sprinkle dessicated coconut and sugar on top
- Bake for 30 -35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Keep an eye on the cake and if the apricots or cake starts to brown cover the pan with a aluminium foil or a parchment paper
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped coconut yogurt