Indian curries have a reputation for being complex and difficult to cook requiring hundreds of spices. That might be true in general but this coconut chicken curry is bit of an exception.
It only requires a handful of spices, few fresh ingredients and voila, you have tasty and nutritious curry ready in half an hour.
This is one of the easiest coconut chicken curry that I coo; it’s perfect for week nights and lazy weekends. I have shared the recipe with sambol chutney but that’s completely optional.
Serve this coconut chicken with fresh steamed rice.
- 2 tbsp coonut oil
- 4-5 shallots or one large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves fresh preferred
- 1 cinnamon stick about 2 inch quill
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 300 gram chicken breasts cut in one inch pieces
- salt to taste
- half fresh coconut grated
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
Make chicken curry
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add cardamom, cinnamon sticks and curry leaves. After 2-3 seconds, add garlic, ginger and chilli.
- Add shallots/onion and saute for 7-8 minutes until onions are translucent. Alternate the heat between low and medium so as not to burn the mix
- Add curry powder and saute for another minute
- Add chicken pieces and saute the for 3-4 minutres
- Add coconut milk and simmer the curry for 10-15 minutres.
- Add salt and lime juice and turn off the heat
- Mix together all the ingredients and serve hot with curry and steam rice