Why are you cooking fruits?
Before I moved to States, I had never heard of fruits being cooked. The only fruit that we ever cooked in India was mango and that too for making mango chutney. It seemed strange to cook fruit but I have come to love cooked fruits, especially poached pears.
- 4 pears
- 2 cups of water
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 3-4 star anise
- Peel the pears, cut in half length wise and remove the seeds
- Add water in a pan and bring it boil.
- Add sugar and spices in the water and turn the heat to low.
- Once the sugar dissolves, add the pears.
- Simmer on low heat until the water turns syrupy.
- However, after about 10-15 minutes, check to see if the pears have softened (but not mushy). And if the pears have become tender but you still have a lot of water left, remove the pears and continue to simmer the liquid until it’s syrupy.
- Once the liquid has been reduced, add the pears back into the syrup and simmer for another few minutes.
- Serve with ice cream, pancakes, or yogurt.