How many ways can you cook potatoes?
Potatoes can be cooked in innumerable ways. In our family, between my mom and sisters, we can probably come up with dozen ways to cook potatoes. The recipe I am sharing is my elder sister’s that she makes for my niece as it’s her favourite. Though, does anyone dislike potatoes?
You can easily follow this recipe for making zeera aloo. It’s pretty simple: potatoes are cooked with cumin seeds and onions providing the texture and flavor and chilli spicing things up.
- 4-5 medium size potatoes 2-3 inch in diameter, boiled, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 3 small onions 1-2 inch in diameter, either thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 tbsp mustard oil
- salt to taste
- Smoke the mustard oil i.e. heat the oil at high heat until it starts to produce smoke. Remove it from heat and let it cool.
- Set the pan with smoked oil back on heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and as soon as the seeds start to sputter, add the onions.
- Lower to heat and continue to stir the onions until they are browned and translucent, about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the onions are browned, add the green chilies.
- Tilt the pan to collect oil on one side. Add the turmeric in this oil and cook turmeric in the oil for a minute.
- Add the salt and cook the onions for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and mix everything together.
- Cover the pan and cook the potatoes for another minute or two.