- 1 kg chicken breasts skinless, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tbsp pure mustard oil or any other cooking oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large onion 5-6 inches in diameter, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes peeled and finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 3 inch ginger peeled and half of it finely chopped and other half sliced into thin long strands
- Handful fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Add the oil in a karahi (or a wok) and once the oil is hot, add garlic and finely chopped ginger.
Saute ginger and garlic for few seconds until lightly browned.
Add the onions.
Saute the onions alternating between high and low heat until the onions are translucent and turn golden brown. About 6-7 minutes.
Push the onions to one side, tilt the wok and add turmeric powder in the collected oil. Cook turmeric for few seconds.
Add half of the tomatoes and saute' at medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Add the chicken and cook on high heat until the chicken pieces turn opaque. Make sure to stir continuously so that the chicken doesn't burn.
Add yogurt, salt and red chilli powder. Cook until the yogurt dissolves. Stir continuously so that the yogurt doesn't turn into cheese.
Turn the heat to low and cover the wok and cook for 5-7 minutes. Stir in regular intervals to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Just before serving, add the half of remaining tomatoes, sliced ginger, garam masala, coriander and green chilllies.
Cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes and serve with fresh naan!
If you are using mustard oil, it's best to smoke it first before using it. To smoke the mustard oil, heat it on high heat until it starts to produce smoke. Let it cool down before using it for cooking (optional step)
Calories: 387.19kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.99g | Protein: 44.87g | Fat: 17.56g | Saturated Fat: 3.02g | Cholesterol: 131.19mg | Sodium: 310.46mg | Potassium: 1084.44mg | Fiber: 2.67g | Sugar: 5.71g | Vitamin A: 903.93IU | Vitamin C: 21.41mg | Calcium: 61.82mg | Iron: 1.2mg